Whether you are celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, or any other holiday, this season can be an extremely joyful time. However, for many seniors, this time can be chaotic and stressful. By reading this you have already taken the first step in creating a safe and healthy environment for your family. We can contribute to a happier season for seniors by doing the following:
1. Create a Plan: Elders in the family may need a minute away from the commotion, they may want to have a quiet place to relax or have a one-on-one conversation with a member of the family. Create a plan for how you will be able to help your family in this situation.
2. Explore old memories: Seniors love to share happy and loving memories. A nice and carrying way to interact with seniors can involve bringing up childhood memories. If you find this difficult, you can try talking about your family and their future. A great way to communicate is to ask questions about your parents or grandparent’s childhood as well.
3. Be thoughtful: Understand that many may seniors experience memory loss. If you think a senior does not remember, be patient, don’t make it a point to single them out or continue questioning them.
4. Try some activities: The point of coming together on the holidays is to spend time together. The act of being together during the season brings joy to elders. Maybe try a simple activity. For example, you can decorate the house, play a card game, do a puzzle, relax and have a cup of coffee or tea.
5. Include your family in every activity: Seniors enjoy feeling needed. Even if it is a simple task, such as putting the candles in the Menorah, setting the table, helping put up ornaments, and so on.
Elder Home Care would like to wish you a happy and stress-free holiday season.